Choosing an Asthma Biologic
My asthma has been out of control for a while.
I set an appointment with my doctor because I knew I needed my asthma meds adjusted.
This spring, we had high pollen levels.The tree pollen and grass pollen were at high levels at the same time, so I was miserable.
Despite using daily controller inhalers twice a day (and using a spacer so I would make sure inhaled all of the medicine), I was still coughing every day.
How to know if your asthma is out of control
There's an easy way to tell if your asthma is uncontrolled. It's called "The Rules of Two®". If:
- You need your reliever/rescue/albuterol inhaler more than 2 x a week
- You wake up during the night with asthma symptoms more than 2 x a month
- You need to refill your albuterol inhaler more than 2 x per year
As a certified asthma educator (AE-C), I knew the Rules of Two® because I have taught people about it for years. And - I knew my asthma was out of control because I needed my inhaler every day!
Asthma doc looked at what asthma meds I was taking, and knew the next step on the national asthma guidelines was to start a biologic.
What is an asthma biologic?
The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) says that an asthma biologic is made from the living cells of an organism and modified to target different parts of your immune system.
There are 7 biologics on the market now, all but one are given by injection. You can get an injection in your doctor's office, or you can use a self-injector at home.
There is one biologic that is given by IV, so that would be given in a doctor's office or clinic.
How do you choose an asthma biologic?
Your doctor can look at what inhalers you are already using, what your symptoms are (for me, it was coughing and needing my rescue/reliever inhaler every day), and then order blood tests.
The results of your blood test will help your doctor know which biologic will work best for you, depending on which molecule it blocks or targets.
Biologics can be given every 2 weeks, every 4 weeks, every 8 weeks, or every 6 months. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) has a chart that can help you see the different biologics and what they are used for.
Some biologics can also be used for eczema, hives, nasal polyps, etc.
The cost is different for each biologic, and your insurance company will need to approve it since they can be expensive. You can also get co-pay help.
Co-pay help
20 years ago, my son was on a biologic, and we found a company that would pay our co-pay each month. He used a biologic for 7 years, until he went off to college and didn't want to use a biologic anymore.
I just started on a biologic, and they are a LOT more expensive than they were 20 years ago! I am also getting co-pay help.
If you are still having a lot of asthma symptoms - despite using a daily, controller inhaler, talk to your doctor to see if a biologic is right for you.
Sometimes our cranky lungs need a little extra help.
Have you tried a biologic? Did it help your lungs feel better?
Hugs,
Andrea

Comments
Post a Comment