Is it anxiety or asthma?

 


This is a common question I have been asked over the years, "I'm having a hard time breathing, how do I know if it's asthma or anxiety?"

Anxiety and stress are known asthma triggers. If you have ever had an asthma attack, you know how it can be scary and stressful it can be. 

 You can't breathe, so you have anxiety - and the anxiety can make an asthma attack worse, and.....around and around we go. 

It can be like asking "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" 

 Symptoms of anxiety from Mayo Clinic:

  • Breathing fast (hyperventilating)
  • Increased heart rate 
  • Feeling tired or weak
  • Feeling tense, restless, or nervous 
  • Trembling
  • Trouble sleeping
There are more symptoms listed on their website
 
Some of these CAN sound like asthma....  
 
Symptoms of an asthma attack from Mayo Clinic:
 
  • Short of breath
  • Wheezing when you exhale (remember: some of us don't wheeze!)
  • Chest pain or chest tightness 
  • Coughing or wheezing that get worse when you are sick with the cold or flu
  • Trouble sleeping 
So how do you know if it's anxiety or asthma?
 
American Lung Association has a great graphic that can help you decide. It says:
 
"Coughing, wheezing or mucus production does not normally happen during asthma attacks but often occur during an asthma attack." 

There you have it! 

Sometimes I can panic or have anxiety during an asthma attack. 

One thing that can help me is to *try* to belly breath when I'm having an asthma attack. Especially when I'm waiting for the Albuterol to kick in. 

 What works for you?



Comments

  1. Hi, I am a student trying to design an inhaler for asthmatic patients. I came across your blog and I would appreciate it if I could get a few answers for my user research to be able to design a product that would best fit the needs. Kindly let me know if you'd be open to it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment