May is Asthma & Allergy Awareness Month!

 


There are a LOT of awareness month, but this one is the most important to me. 

It literally changed my life, and the life of my 3 kids.

23 years ago, our lives were forever changed when my middle son ended up in the hospital, and the respiratory therapist told  us that he has asthma. 

What??!!

But I asked my pediatrician if Son #2 has asthma, and he said no. He said it was "just a virus". The respiratory therapist said, "It's asthma alright - that's why he's being admitted to the hospital.."

And life took a left when I had planned to go right. 

Eventually, all 3 kids (and I) were diagnosed with asthma. 

We are a family of 5. All 5 have allergies (year-round), 4 have asthma, and 2 of us have food allergies.

I went back to college to get another degree, then changed professions to work full time as a Health Educator and Certified Asthma Educator.

I now work for a national non profit and provide allergy & asthma education to people across the U.S. 

What have the last 23 years been like? Well, it's been a roller coaster ride. My kids had 12 hospitalizations (and 2 ICU's.) My kids and I all have had countless trips to the Urgent Care and the ER.  

Sadly, 3 of us have severe asthma that can be VERY tricky to treat. It wasn't until the first biologic came on the market (back in the early 2000's) that my son's severe asthma was able to be stabilized. 

We have learned so much over the years and I would definitely do certain things over again. 

So I try to share our family's experiences with the hopes that it will  help another family.

How has your life been changed by asthma and allergies? 

Comments