You want me to get rid of my dog if I have asthma?


 A few years ago, I coordinate an Asthma Home Visit Program. 

I provided in-depth asthma education to families.I know that doctors would like to spend more time providing education to their patients, but they just don't have time. 

You may have been diagnosed with asthma while in the hospital, or at a doctor's office. And the doctor can explain a LOT of things - all at once. It's like trying to drink out of a fire hydrant.

When I meet with families, I try to reinforce what the doctor explained to them, and then fill in the gaps about how to control their asthma. 

It's good to learn about medications and asthma triggers, but it's also important to learn how to make a home allergy & asthma friendly. When I say "home", that can mean apartment, house, trailer home, condo, whatever they consider a home.

During one visit, a woman answered the door and said, "If you are going to tell me to get rid of my dog, you can just turn around and walk back out the door."

Alrighty then 

I sort of laughed and told her "I'm not like that. I know that dogs and cats are like members of the family!" 

Phew

I thought she was going to throw me out of the house.

Some doctors tell patients to get rid of their dog or cat. No exceptions. 

I know that pets are a part of the family, and can comfort their humans. In fact, I know many people who prefer animals to humans (I can't say that I blame them!)

Instead of telling someone "You have asthma, why would you have a cat or dog? You know you are allergic to them! You have to find a new home for them."

We could compromise

Can we make one "safe room" in the house?

I would ask clients if we could compromise. Would they be okay with having one "safe room" in the house?  Where the person with asthma can sleep or play - without the cat or dog?

Our asthma lungs can get really cranky when we are around cats or dogs. I have asthma, and am allergic to cats and dogs, so I know how pets can make me sneeze, wheeze and cough. 

But cats and dogs are sooooo cute! I can't help it. I have to pet them!

But, if there is one room in a house that is pet free, where our cranky asthma lungs can rest overnight, that can help our allergies and asthma lungs feel better.

Most families agree to try it and keep a bedroom as their "safe room."

I ask if they are willing to:

  • snuggle their dog or cat in another room
  • shower and shampoo 
  • put on clean pajamas
  • then climb into a clean bed with no dog or cat hair

When I follow up with families a month later, they tell me that it works! 

They can still snuggle their cat or dog, but their allergies and asthma seem better after a shower, change of clothes and pet hair free night in their "safe room". 

They can still keep their pets, but just give their allergies and asthma a break at night. 

Do you have pets? Would you be willing to try this and see how you feel?

Comments