Why Do Movies Show Anaphylaxis Wrong?


 I was watching Glass Onion and I was surprised at the ending. 

I can NEVER figure out murder mysteries and am always wrong about "who done it"

In fact, the movie was so fast paced that I missed a lot of things. So I decided to put on the closed captioning so I could watch it again. 

I saw the scene where a character dies of anaphylaxis (oh.....is that what killed him?)

But then I thought, wait a minute! You can't die that fast from an allergen!

In the movie, Big Burly Guy says he "doesn't do pineapple". (I missed that the first time.)

At the end of the movie, when the detective was doing a recap of what happened, he talked about how Big Burly Guy died. That the Slimy Guy had put pineapple juice into Big Burly Guy's drink

It showed a clip of Big Burly Guy grabbing his throat, staggering for about 10 seconds, and then collapsing and dying

Hold the phone! 

Why can't movies show anaphylaxis or asthma attacks correctly? Ugh! 

Death doesn't happen instantly from eating a food allergen

 The National Institutes of Health, Library of Medicine has an article that says:

"Anaphylaxis is a sudden and severe allergic reaction that occurs within minutes of exposure. Immediate medical attention is needed for this condition. Without treatment, anaphylaxis can get worse very quickly and lead to death within 15 minutes"

15 minutes.......... not 10 seconds

From my experience, anaphylaxis can vary with how quickly I start to feel symptoms. (But it's never been instantly)

Cross contact - for me, my anaphylaxis can be different depending if there was cross contact (just tiny amounts of my food allergen contaminated my food) 

Ingesting my food allergen

Exercising after eating an allergen (if the blood pumps through your body quicker, it can make anaphylaxis worse.) This happened to me with a NEW food allergen. I didn't know I was allergic to this new food...or I wouldn't have used my exercise bike afterwards!

These are my experiences with anaphylaxis, it can be different for everyone. 

Has anyone else watched a movie that showed anaphylaxis and thought, "Staaahhhhp! That's so wrong!"

Is it just me yelling at my TV? 



 

Comments

  1. We'll see if this lets me post now. First attempt in years.

    I've been good, both twins do have CF but at least they didn't inherit my delF508 gene. We'll have to see if that also means milder cf when they're born.

    In regards to this post. I'm allergic to soy and I was explaining to a former college roommate I was allergic to soy and what anaphylaxis was so please clean up after yourself in the kitchen. She legit thought organic soy was OK. I ended up switching roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh rats, I was hoping the twins would be okay!

    I've heard all sorts of crazy stories, but a roommate who thinks you won't be allergic to soy if it's organic? Like that matters? I'm so glad you switched roommates. You needed someone to keep you safe!

    My family knows not to bring seafood into the house, but my husband sometimes goes out to eat for lunch and orders seafood. If he's with one of my kids, he'll tell them "remind me to tell mom that I ate seafood. I don't want to forget and kiss her and give her an allergic reaction!"

    I hope work is going well and your pregnancy isn't too bad. Do they think the twins will come early?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment