Allergies & Asthma Go to College

 

 

I'm a little late in posting about sending kids to college, but you know how it goes.... work projects take priority.

I only have one kid left in college, but I still worry about all of my adult kids! My mom always said, 

"Once you're a mom, you're a mom for the rest of your life."

I have to laugh when young moms say 'it must be nice to not have to worry about your kids anymore.'

Amateurs

I didn't stop being a mom when my kids turn 18. Maybe some parents are like that - 'good luck with the rest of your life!'

I will always worry about my adult kids especially because they have chronic health problems like allergies, food allergies, and asthma. 

But I tried to teach them life skills so they could be independent. They REALLY hated that when they were younger, but I told them they would thank me later

When it came time to for each of them to go to college, they could do the basics:

  • Do their laundry
  • Balance their bank accounts
  • Maintain their cars (get the oil changed and the tires rotated)
  • Shop for groceries
  • Cook meals

 But the most important thing they needed to do on their own was manage their health

Student Health Center 

When we did the college tour, the tour guide was careful to point out to the student health center. We wandered over to look a what they offered, and I was happy to see that they had medical visits and mental health visits - for $10!

I pointed out to my kids that they were now in charge of:

  • Making their own doctors appointments
  • Making the co-pay
  • Picking up and paying for their prescriptions 

My kids were covered on my medical insurance until they were turned 26. So I could afford to  help them if they needed that they couldn't get on campus (x-rays, MRI's, surgery, etc)

But - it was their job to manage their physical and mental health now

I'm there if they need me - and we have had some great conversations about medical problems and how they could get help.

But they are in the driver's seat now and I am the passenger

Wish me luck! 

 

 




 

 

 


Comments