Asking for Help is OK!

 


 

When I look back to our 22 journey with allergies and asthma, I wish I would have done things differently.

If only I had known what resources were available to our family!

Since my kids were ALWAYS sick, I decided to be a stay at home mom. Trying to pay the bills on one income with 3 kids with allergies and asthma was nearly impossible. Especially since we were frequent visitors to the pediatrician, Asthma Doc, After Hours Clinics, Urgent Care, ER and hospital. 

Hospital Bills 

My kids were in the hospital a total of 15 times (12 for asthma), plus they had several surgeries. So we  had a LOT of medical bills. We had an ongoing payment plan at our local hospital. 

I would call their billing department to ask them to add our portion of the hospital bill to my tab - and the employee would laugh. I would tell them, "I'm not kidding. We have a payment plan, and I need my 20% of the bill added to our tab." Then the employee would say, "Ohhhhh."

Mmhmmm. 

Groceries, utilities, mortgage

Even with health insurance, 20% of the hospital bill took a chunk out of our budget. That left little money for food, the mortgage, school lunch, etc. Not to mention that my kids seemed to outgrow their clothes and shoes overnight!

I was a coupon clipper and watched the grocery sales. We rarely ate out. I cut everyone's hair (don't worry - the hair cuts looked professional!) Relatives saved their kids clothes and coats for our kids. 

But money was always tight.

Resources I wish I had used 

Now that I work in Public Health, I help families learn how to better control their asthma. But I know they need help in other areas, so I collaborate with various agencies in our county. A local food bank posted this today: 

 "Nearly all who come here don't want to be here. I want them to know our organization is a safe place and we are here to help everyone."

There should be no shame in needing a little extra help! 

Many agencies get grants or other funding that they need to use (or it gets wasted at the end of the year.) Let them help you get through the tough times.   

Life rarely goes the way we plan, and we all need help from time to time.

Not only do I help clients with asthma. But - I also help them in other areas.I frequently refer families to:

  • WIC - low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women and  infants and children under age five can get supplemental food
  •  Food pantries - these differ by state and county. Search online for your area, you can try this link
  • Prescription help - NeedyMeds has a list of brand name prescription drug help. Some companies offer coupons or co-pay assistance. NeedyMeds has a separate list for generic drugs. 
  • Low cost clinics - you can search NeedyMeds by zip code and find a low cost/sliding scale clinic near you. Many clinics also have federally funded pharmacies inside the clinic. Many of my clients reported back to me that they were able to get their inhaler for $25. It all depends on your income and needs
  •  Local churches - they can also help with rent/mortgage/food, etc. 

 For those that have the courage to ask for help, have you used any resources to help you get by? What are your favorites?



Comments