How to Find Accurate Asthma Information






If I have one pet peeve, it's when people act like they are an expert on asthma, and they give out advice (that may not be the best.) I've heard all sorts of "interesting things" from people that mean well, but the advice they are giving is wrong.

Do I consider myself an expert? NO!

 I don't think ANYONE can know everything there is to know about asthma. But I try my best to keep up to date. 

Yes, I have a lot of personal experiences over the last 20 years, raising 3 kids with allergies and asthma (as well as battling allergies and asthma myself!) And I share those stories here. 

But - I am also have professional training and I am a Certified Asthma Educator (AE-C). I have to keep my certification current by earning Continuing Education (CE) credits. 

Here are some places to find accurate and up to date information:

If you get information from other sources, look for the author of the article. Is it a medical professional? Or other expert? Has it been medically reviewed? 

There are lots of people willing to shell out advice. But just remember - just because it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for you. 

And some of the information can be dangerous (like those people that recommend not taking prescribed medicine and replacing it with homeopathic remedies.) 

Someone talked us in to doing that with Son #2 when he was first diagnosed (and we didn't know any better.) We should never believed them!

Son #2 ended up in the hospital in ICU. I told that person to NEVER talk to me about homeopathic remedies again. 

Study everything carefully, make sure the information you get is from a reputable source and up to date. And then chat with your doctor about what would be best for you or your kids.
 

Comments