Cold temperatures triggering your asthma?







We were so excited to wake up to snow on Christmas morning. Snow storms have been few and far between for our beautiful mountains.

In fact, it seems like the weather is different from when I grew up. 

And even 20 years ago, when I had my last child, winter was different. I can remember snowstorms that were so bad that they cancelled church. (This has never happened before or since then!) And I live in an area where everyone has 4 wheel drive SUV's, snow tires, and chains for the canyons. But there was so much snow, they were also shutting down roads!

So even though we only had a few inches of snow on Christmas Eve, I was happy.

But my lungs were not.


When I head to my car for my morning commute, my lungs call out "Uncle!" until I get to my nice, warm office. Repeat on my commute home.

Asthma lungs can be notoriously cranky. Our lungs like the same temperatures and humidity level.

Not only do my lungs get cranky (and I start the fun asthma cough) when I'm outside in the cold, but I also cough when I eat cold foods.

Ice cream will always make me cough. As will smoothies and yogurt. 

I didn't realize the connection until one year when an intern said, "Are you eating yogurt again?" I said, "Yes, why?" She said, "every morning when you eat a yogurt, you start coughing."

Hmm. 

I had never noticed that!

Smoothies are really hard for me to drink. I will start to drink one and cough so hard I lose my voice (my hubby's favorite time - then he doesn't have to listen to me!)

So, if cold foods bother you, do you have to give them up? Well, I'm not going to stop eating ice cream! But I do have to eat SLOWER than everyone else.

And what if you are stuck outside and it's cold? I wear a scarf so I can pull it over my mouth to warm up the air before it reaches my lungs.

And for those of you who hate to wear scarves - you can do a Darth Vader impression. Cup your hands over your mouth and breath into your hands. That will warm up the air (and scare your kids when you sound like Darth Vader. Haha!)

Keep warm my friends! 
 


Comments

  1. I can see how it would be easier on my lungs to have a car. My budget and other factors won't allow that any time soon. I use a balaclava for merely "cold" weather and particulate masks when it's more serious. Here in Ohio, wind is a permanent weather factor, and awareness helps.

    I'm glad we're not having the winters of my childhood. If I never saw snow or freezing temperatures again, I'd be fine with that. Part of me wants to move to a more even climate, but so far family and friends cause me to stay here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Calvin. Yes, cars are nice - but public transit works too!

      It is hard living in a place with very cold winters, but having a good support network is also important.

      Maybe a vacation to a warmer climate would be a nice break for your lungs!

      Delete
  2. Public transit is useful, but one spends much more time in the open air than with a car. I have no idea how I'd take a vacation. I can't afford a car.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment