"My Inhaler Isn't Working"

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
This is one of those phrases that I hear quite a bit from people - "My inhaler isn't working." 

Well, inhalers don't "stop working". It's usually "User Error." I love this term because I often have computer problems at work and my colleague (who is the Tech Queen) teases me that it's probably User Error - and it usually is! 

I may not be a whiz on computers and software, but I am on inhalers.

One of the most common things I see when I help families is that they aren't using their inhaler correctly. 

In fact, 92% of people do NOT use their inhaler correctly. Yep, 92%! 
Why?

Well, there is a dizzying array of inhaler devices now. Some are MDI's (Metered Dose Inhalers), some are DPI's (Dry Powder Inhalers), and some are a soft mist inhaler.

That could be part of the reason people have a tough time with using their inhaler the right way. There are so many different types of inhalers.

For MDI's, the most common mistakes I see are:

Not shaking the inhaler 
Not exhaling all the way BEFORE  using the inhaler
Not holding their breath for 10 seconds
Forgetting to rinse their mouth out if it's a controller inhaler

Controller inhalers (the kind you take every day) are made with a yeast base, so they can cause thrush - an annoying fungal infection on the tongue which is NOT so fun to try to get rid of. 

For DPI's, the most common mistakes I see are:

Breathing in too softly
Thinking it needs a spacer
Blocking the vent with their mouth 
 
With the DPIs, there isn't a propellant (since it's a dry powder inhaler.) I tell people that THEY get to be the propellant by "sucking the powder out of the inhaler like a milkshake" (hard and fast).

Which is the opposite of a MDI. With that, you have to breath in SLOW and softly.

Is it any wonder people aren't using their inhaler the right way?

Allergy & Asthma Foundation of America has a webpage and video that talks about the different types of inhalers.

Remember - inhalers don't "stop working."

 Either you aren't using it the right way, or you may need a different type of inhaler OR higher dose inhaler.

 Hope this helps! :)

Comments