School supplies and asthma


Mmmmhhhhmm, it's that time of year again. 

The stores are full of notebooks, pencils and cool stuff for lockers. I feel like telling my daughter, "When I was your age....I was lucky I even HAD a locker -  and we didn't have stuff to decorate it!" Yep, I'm getting old.

I should probably take daughter Kitty to the store to get school supplies - since school starts next week. I'm a little slow.....

But besides school supplies, there is something else you need for school when you have asthma.


You can look of the laws of some of the states on the CDC's Public Health Law website.

You also have to have your doc fill an asthma action plan and permission form EVERY school year. There are different forms for each state. Here's one I found from American Lung Association 



 My school nurse always sends out an Asthma Action Plan and permission form every summer. That gives us time to see Asthma Doc so Kitty can have her annual asthma exam and Asthma Doc can fill out her paperwork for school.

Is your child ready to carry their inhaler in school and do they know when and how to use it? American Lung Association has a "Student Readiness Assessment Tool" that can help you decide. It's 15 questions in 4 areas that can help you find out what your child knows about asthma and if they know when to use their inhaler.
 
Don't forget to include the teacher in their asthma plans. At back to school night, I meet with all of Kitty's teacher and let them know that she has allergies and asthma, carries her inhaler (legally), and may need to use it during class. 
 
But, since it's embarrassing for Kitty to use it during class, we come up with a "sign" she can use with her teachers to let them know that she wants to leave the classroom and use her inhaler. (Personally, I don't care if anyone sees me use my inhaler. And as a Certified Asthma Educator, I want people to know how to use it correctly.)
 
So, what kind of sign does she use? Whatever the teacher wants - Kitty will catch the teacher's eye and twirl her car keys and nod. Or she may tug on her ear lobe repeatedly while looking at the teacher. Whatever she wants and whatever will be a silent clue to the teacher.
 
So, as you are getting school supplies and clothes, make sure you are ready for any asthma emergency by getting an Asthma Action Plan filled out and signed. 
 
You never know when you might need one.

Comments

  1. Houston has been hit hard with flooding please keep us in your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on the news, are you okay? They say the flooding is worse than what New Orleans experienced with Katrina :(

      Delete
  2. It is, so much destruction. My daddy had to be evacuated by boat. I was stranded in my house for days. There is also the curfew because looting is rampant, especially in my hometown. A coworker's ceiling caved in. Every store is closed. But my city is strong, we will prevail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good heavens! That's awful! I see good stories on the Facebook like the video of mile long stretch of trucks and boats on the freeway headed to Houston to help evacuate people. People opening up their homes to those whose homes are flooded. A birthday party complete with presents at a shelter, and a woman with an amazing set of pipes belting out some gospel tunes for those in the shelter.

      I love that good will always overcome evil! There may be some looting, but then I saw the furniture king (is that his name?) who opened up his mega furniture stores for people to live in! And he said bring your pets too!

      Love, love, love that.

      Stay safe and watch your breathing. Mold will start soon and I know that's not good for your lungs :(

      Delete
    2. Mattress Mack gallery furniture!! He's the best!! I've worked at marshalls for 3 years. We just opened back up today. Our managers told us that everyone who was scheduled to work bt missed it because the store closed due to he storm was paid as if they had worked those hours!! That's great!! We still need our paycheck to live regardless of the storm!!

      Delete
    3. Mattress Mack deserves an award for all he has done, that is an amazing story!

      So glad Marshalls still paid you for the time the store was closed due to the flood.

      I love hearing stories like this, because I love the good in the world! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment